Wednesday, September 17, 2014

What's What Wednesday; on a Sick Day with some nitty gritty

Around midnight last night Kade woke up with a cough and was impossible to get back to sleep. Daddy got up with him, met his intense demands and coaxed him back to sleep while I snoozed. I can only tell you this story because it was relayed to me this morning. Daddy's are sort of awesome that way.

A formal Sick Day commenced at our place, starting with an embarrassing amount of screen time. I think it's important to bring up days like this on the blog. It's too easy now to only show the pearly whites of your life. I've read a lot of blogs- seen a lot of moms- with happy, clean kids smiling and baking and doing crafts. What they're not showing us, things that I'm sure are there, are the yoga pants, the messy house, the fussy clingy babies demanding to be held while those blog posts are written (mine is sitting in my lap, watching me type this). Those blogs are inspiring and I read a lot of them, but it's important to remember that they're people too. They have messy closets, spit up on their shoulders,

After the house was destroyed, the pony tail was pulled by the infant for the umpteenth time and Kade passed out watching cartoons, I was ready to crawl back into bed and start over.

When Kade woke up, he smiled coyly and requested homemade crackers. "I almost feel better Mama. I just reallllly need homemade crackers."

The house is a wreck, the sink is already full, but the baby is sleeping so let's take advantage. Anything to get my big boy feeling better and this sick day over. Operation Ritz Crackers, GO!

What's Cooking?





Homemade Ritz Crackers

The first day I made these, Ian came home for work and I popped one in his mouth. I was super excited after spending the day perfecting them. I said, "Tastes like a Ritz cracker, RIGHT?!" He said, "Yes... only better!" Good man. That's what I like to hear.

1 stick unsalted butter (8 Tablespoons)
2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup water

1. Combine the flour, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, baking powder and sugar in a mixing bowl.

2. Add 6 Tablespoons of the butter to the flour mixture, a small pat at a time.

3. Combine with your hands until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.

4. Add the vegetable oil and combine.


5. Add water, a little at a time. I usually pour with my right hand while mixing with my left hand. It's a messy job.

6. Once the dough forms, roll it out onto a lightly floured surface. It's important to roll out the dough as thin as possible to get the perfect crunchy cracker.

7. Cut shapes with cookie cutters and transfer onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Poke some holes into the crackers- this is an important part of what makes them crunchy! You can use a fork or a chop stick.

8. Bake for about ten minutes but don't leave the kitchen! Depending on the thickness of your crackers, they could burn very quickly. Keep an eye on them!

9. Melt the remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter and add the other 1/2 teaspoon of salt.

10. When crackers are out of the oven, brush on the butter "sauce" and sprinkle crackers with a little bit more sea salt.


***

I think it's important to touch down on some "Nitty Gritty." The fact that no, no one is perfect and we should totally stop beating ourselves up. I also think that we need to stop judging each other. We're on the SAME TEAM, mamas! Sometimes days don't go like we planned so we just have to run with what we have. So, I'm just going to put it out there: 

Here you go, my baby sometimes sits in his bumbo on the table. I know, he could fall. But I like to think I watch him very closely. 



Or, how about this one? 
CO-SLEEPING. I know, dangerous. Bad Mom. 


Last one, okay? That's my boob, on my blog. You're welcome.


No one is the perfect mother! Remember that even those pearly whites sometimes have hidden cavities. 

Until next time, friends. 






1 comment:

  1. I love this. Thank you for pointing these things out that we mothers seem too embarrassed to mention. I am reading this as my son is asleep next to me on the boob lol as mothers we do the best we can and what we feel is right for our babes. Feel better kade!

    ReplyDelete